News & Events

27 October 2016


During the Anteprima del Vino Nobile, the Austrian magazine "Wein Pur" describes the style change of Vino Nobile in recent years.

Vino Nobile di Montepulciano together Brunello di Montalcino and Chianti Classico belongs to the famous triumvirate of classic red of central Tuscany. The wines of this small region are reaching ever higher levels. Never before he has given us great joy and satisfaction to taste the wines of Montepulciano. Never before he has given us great joy and satisfaction to taste the wines of Montepulciano. The new vintages 2013 have been presented in the Montepulciano fortress, with Reserves 2012; a little '' boring '' the comparison between the companies, but the average level was pretty good. The Anteprima of Vino Nobile wine annually collects about half the 75 bottlers of Vino Nobile, who present their wines in person, there was also a chance to look for in a separate room the wines served in several series - a time saver and an alternative to the discussions with the winemakers. A Vino Nobile more classic; In fact there have been significant changes in the last decade. More fruits, more elegance, more freshness, and above all more traditional and indigenous varieties, less new wood, less French varieties - this could be a quick summary of the situation. The main varieties for Vino Nobile is Sangiovese, which is known here as "Prugnolo Gentile". In the production regulations it is required at least 70%, the remaining 30% can be completed with variety of wine grapes authorized in Tuscany. As for Chianti Classico, about the use of complementary grapes, 10-15 years ago there was a boom of French varieties than in traditional and local varieties such as Canaiolo, Colorino and Mammolo. In addition to Cabernet Sauvignon it was mainly Merlot the favorite of many Winemakers, because it gives the wine more softness. This small boom has largely subsided, the percentage of Prugnolo Gentile in fact increased in some wines to 100%. Most of the Vino Nobile di Montepulciano is composed by 85% of Sangiovese. Merlot is used only by some wineries with minimum percentages. Traditional varieties Canaiolo, Colorino and Mammolo are among the complementary varieties the "new old". They in fact visibly improving many wines, they have gained over the years a standalone profile. In excellent vintages, such as 2013 and 2010 help to further delineate the independent profile of Vino Nobile against a crisp Chianti Classico or a strong and more velvety Brunello di Montalcino be refined.


The change of style that comes from greater elegance and type of area, you can understand through some wineries. A positive development worth noting is detected at the Bindella winery with its wines from different soils (I Quadri from clay, the Vallocaia reserve sandy clay). The organic farm Il Conventino convinces with fruit and elegance with 2013 are back on top. The Tenuta di Gracciano della Seta is one of the historic bottlers of Montepulciano, its wines are reliable and good, are aged in large wooden barrels and from many years are at the absolute top. The Lunadoro's wine are gradually improve. Familiar with reliable good quality for Contucci and Fattoria del Cerro. A known good image also Dei winery Dei, which is located at the top of the flag. The best-known establishments Avignonesi and Poliziano weaken in the last years.The journalist Alexander Magrutsch focused in the presentation of Vino Nobile of excellent vintage 2013 and below presents the best representatives. Note harmony, silky and soft tannins, finally a clear fruity.

Tenuta di Gracciano della Seta Vino Nobile di Montepulciano 2013: One of the best, pure elegance, fruity, full of tension, good persistence, truly wonderful.